2018 SUMMER INTERNSHIP
NOTICE TO SOCIAL WORK/PUBLIC POLICY/LAW STUDENTS
PROTECT OUR DEFENDERS
Casework and Policy Intern
ABOUT PROTECT OUR DEFENDERS
Protect Our Defenders was founded to address the ongoing epidemic of rape and sexual assault in the U.S. military. Our mission is to fix the broken military justice system and reform the way it handles cases of rape, sexual assault, and sexual harassment—a system that often re-victimizes survivors of sexual assault while failing to hold perpetrators accountable. Our efforts are directly informed by our work with victims, survivors, and their families, as well as retired and active duty military members.
Our work includes researching and exposing dysfunction in the military training, adjudication, and Veterans Administration (VA) systems related to sexual assault and harassment; amplifying survivors’ voices within the policy debate; helping survivors access appropriate services, including pro bono legal help; and supporting policy initiatives that fundamentally reform how the Department of Defense deals with rape, sexual assault, and sexual harassment.
Interns will primarily support the Legal Services Program (LSP), which provides casework and legal referrals for survivors of military sexual assault and harassment who are facing challenges related to the attack. This will involve communicating directly with survivors, engaging in outreach efforts to raise awareness of the LSP, and supporting program evaluation of the LSP. Interns will also provide support to ongoing advocacy campaigns and policy issues related to military sexual assault. We have also recently expanded our legal services to assist those who are military sexual assault and harassment bystanders and whistleblowers.
Because we are a small organization, our interns work side-by-side with staff members and receive substantive experience on military sexual assault and harassment casework and policy efforts. We will work with you to ensure that this internship provides a meaningful professional experience.
We are seeking part-time (minimum of 12 hours/week) interns. Specific start and end dates for Summer 2018 are flexible. We offer a stipend for this internship.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Conduct intake interviews with sexual assault and harassment survivors, engage in follow-up communication, and research appropriate resources
• Research and draft memoranda into current and potential military sexual assault policies, legislation, and regulations
• Support staff in the planning and implementation of outreach efforts to raise awareness of the Legal Services Program among military attorneys, service members, veterans, and survivors
• Assist with direct actions and campaigns
• Administrative and other support, as needed
DESIRED EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
• Excellent research, writing, and communication skills
• Background in victim advocacy and/or sexual assault response preferred
• Commitment to public interest and social justice
• Graduate candidates preferred
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants should send a brief cover letter, resume, short writing sample, and two references to Angela Lee, Senior Programs and Services Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “[NAME] 2018 SUMMER INTERNSHIP”. We are accepting applicants on a rolling basis.
Protect Our Defenders is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage and consider all applications without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, and disability.